Tuesday, September 13, 2011

That time of year!

So, I was going to post this last week, but somehow I'm not sure where last week went.  We were getting ready for Quilt Expo and my days and nights were running together.  I spent most of Sunday and Monday trying to play catch up on sleep and other things that got left undone.

On labor day I made this yummy potato soup.  My family absolutely loves this soup.  And who doesn't like soup when the weather starts to turn.  When I make it, it literally makes into a meal, and of course, I make a double batch.  I knew the rest of the week was going to be PB&J sandwiches and whatever else was easy, so Monday was a good day for this soup.
This soup is great with a french baguette and makes a great lunch for the next day.  Also, this recipe calls for asparagus, but my family really likes broccoli, so we substitute.  Here's the recipe for those of you that would like to try it out.
Asparagus Potato Soup
1 Pint Half & Half
1 Jar Old English Cheese Spread
1 Sm Bunch Green Onions, Chopped
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 C Water, plus 3 T
2 T Flour
2 T Butter
1/4 t Nutmeg
1 Pkg Asparagus, cooked and drained
2 C Potatoes, Cubed and parboiled
1 C Cubed Ham

Start by par boiling the potatoes.
Steam asparagus, drain.
Chop onions, place in large pan with butter, and saute.
Heat the 1 cup of water in microwave and add bouillon cubes, when dissolved, add to pan.
Add half & half, nutmeg, and asparagus.
Mix flour and 3 T water together till smooth.
Stir flour mixture into pan.
Add cheese to mixture and continue to cook over low heat, do not burn.
Serve.

Till Next Time!  PJR

No comments:

Post a Comment