Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fern Hill Retreat

Well, it's been some time since my last post.  Life seems to be to busy, especially in the fall and the shop takes presidence over other things.

At the end of September a few of us went on a retreat to Fern Hill in New Glarus, Wisconsin.  It's a lovely area just outside of town.  We had great fun and inspired each other.  Here are a few projects that everybody worked on.









Here's Bonnie with her Basket Quilt by Blackbird Designs made with "Antique Fair".  What a wonderful quilt!














And DarLynn with her Doll quilt.  This was an exchange that we did a couple years ago.  I still don't have mine together.  Way to go DarLynn!  Love those dolls!








Here's Debbie's quilt that she made for her Son and Daughter-in-law to be.  What a gorgeous quilt!  I'm sure they will love it.







And then there's Marge's quilt.  This was from one of Jo Morton's books.  They name befunks me at the moment, but what a great quilt.  She bought it as a kit from the shop a couple years ago.  Love it!




This is a quilt that I made for my granddaughter, Delaney.  I just decided to do different types of piecing in each pieced row separated with part of a panel
I started when she was still in womb and she's now over 14 months old.  Well, it's never too late.  I just figured, when I didn't finish it when she was born, I would give it to her at a later time.  Now I think it worked out perfect.  It has more of a toddler appeal anyways.  It will be a Christmas present.








Here's another one of DarLynn's quilts.  She started this at another retreat sometime back.  Isn't it sweet?  You just gotta love those pinwheels.  And of course, this is something she just made up. 






This is something that Marge was working on.  Little four-patches that finish at 1 1/2" each for a quilt called "Dipped in Chocolate".  That was another quilt that we did an exchange for.  I only have mine done in rows.  Someday it will get there.  But don't you just love how they landed in front of her sewing table on the floor like that in a little spiral pile.  Love it!





Here's a close up of that pile.  So perfectly spiraled.  Lots and lots of little four-patches!






This is DarLynn with a pincushion she won.  A Shawnee vase made into a pincushion.  Well, the game we played the last player could steel anybodies gift.  Guess who the last player was.  Me!  I tried, believe me.  She tried to tell me that she had a pet sheep and all that bull just so that I wouldn't steel it from her.  Well, she won out.  I did not steel it.  Darn!




But instead, I won this!  Isn't it adorable?  Gotta love it.  I also got a little pair of scissors with it, but they are being used while this picture was taken.  They are awfully cute too.  There's a lady north of where we live that makes up wonderful vintage stuff like this.  She's amazing




These are just a couple of things that I made during the retreat.  The little caddy on the left is for a mini iron.  And the bag is called "The Peek-a-Boo" bag.  It's made with 2 fat quarters, some fusible interfacing and clear vinyl.  Too darn cute!



This is a "Sewing Caddy" that I made several months ago, but it you look at my ironing tote and my peek-a-boo bag, you'll notice that they all kind of match.  Last year I bought this fabric at this shop in Monticello.  It's only about 10 minutes from the Fern Hill retreat.  This year we went back there and voila, they still had the fabric.  I decided I needed more, then I thought it would be fun if they all matched.  Oh Fun!

I wished I had taken more pictures of the scenery outside.  Great fall colors and beautiful countryside. 

Till next time, PJR

2 comments:

  1. What a great retreat! Thanks ever so much for including me. Note I don't have any finished projects to show in the pictures. Oh well. I still loved being part of such a collection of talented and fun women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have been searching for the pattern for the doll quilt you have shown in this post. It is exactly what I am looking for, but not knowing the name of the pattern, it is like looking for a needle in the haystack! I would sure appreciate any info you can give me as I would love to make it! Thanks, Amy

    ReplyDelete